Saturday 5 March 2011

what would you do?

I am troubled. I came across a post on a blog tonight about some bargain embroidered piece from India an influential quilter/blogger had found. My first thought however was that it reminded me of this quote "Rough estimates show that there might be 5000-7000 embroidery units functioning in Delhi, with each unit employing around 25-30 children. Most of the children working in embroidery and zari workshops are trafficked from Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal. The children, who had been rescued through our raid and rescue operations, reported that they got as little as Rs. 20-30 a month and worked for more than 12-14 hours in small crowded rooms with poor lighting and ventilation. As a result many had eye problems/infections and skin allergies."
does that make me the bad fairy at the party if I comment ?

2 comments:

AyJay said...

What would I do? I don't think I would post anything on the blog unless it was one I was familiar with and I had some inclination at least that some others there would be sympathetic to my viewpoint. Posting something that many find hard (or impossible) to stomach would probably result in a flame war against you - not good if you are easily hurt by the words of others.
Other than that - follow your own feelings of what is right in your own actions.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to comment.. it's amazing how many people are NOT aware of what is happening! If they don't like the comments they can always delete them.(HAH)